Women’s EURO 2022: Austria vs Northern Ireland facts, stats & stats
Austria are hoping to kick off their campaign in Group A against Northern Ireland, who they have met twice in the past 12 months.
Top article media content
Body of the article
Norway vs Northern Ireland: head to head
- Having never met before autumn 2021, Austria and Northern Ireland meet for the third time in less than a year on Matchday 2 of Group A of the Women’s EURO. UEFA.
- Austria won 3-1 in the last game, qualifying for the FIFA Women’s World Cup 2023, on April 8 in Wiener Neustadt. Carina Wenninger (48), Nicole Billa (55) and Barbara Dunst (57) struck in a decisive spell after the break to keep Austria second in Group D behind leaders England. Joely Andrews scored an 85th-minute consolation for Northern Ireland’s Kenny Shiels.
- The sides drew 2-2 in October 2021 in Belfast in their first-ever meeting. Stefanie Enzinger’s stoppage-time equalizer saved Austria a point, after Lauren Wade (46) and Demi Vance (50) seemingly put the home side on course for victory despite Dunst (42) giving the advantage to visitors.
- Northern Ireland is therefore still looking for its first victory against Austria (D1 L1).
- Austria reached their first UEFA Women’s EURO five years ago, the debutants eventually being eliminated in the semi-finals on kicks after a goalless draw with Denmark in Breda.
- Irene Fuhrmann’s side booked their place in a second successive finals by finishing second in Group G behind France, picking up 19 points from eight matches. They only dropped points against Les Bleues (0-0 h, 0-3 a), the defeat at Guingamp in November 2020 being the only match where they conceded a goal.
- Northern Ireland reached their first major tournament with a 4-1 aggregate victory against Ukraine in April 2021 (2-1 a, 2-0 h) after finishing second to Norway in their section thanks to a top header – header record against Wales.
- The 26-year-old scored Austria’s second goal in the 3-1 win over Northern Ireland on April 8.
- That strike took her to ten goals in just seven appearances in the 2023 World Cup qualifiers.
- Billa was Austria’s top scorer in Women’s EURO 2022 qualifying, scoring seven goals in eight appearances, including a hat-trick against Kazakhstan in November 2019.
- The striker was Hoffenheim’s top scorer for the fourth consecutive campaign in 2021/22, with 16 goals in all competitions.
- The 24-year-old has scored in Austria’s two previous games against Northern Ireland.
- Those two goals contributed to Dunst’s tally of four in the 2023 World Cup qualifying campaign, having also netted four times in EURO 2022 qualifying.
- The Eintracht Frankfurt midfielder’s first international goal came in the 3-0 EURO 2022 qualifying win over North Macedonia in September 2019.
- Dunst was an unused member of the squad as Austria reached the semi-finals of EURO 2017.
- The 31-year-old opened the scoring – a heeling volley from a corner – in April’s 3-1 win over Northern Ireland.
- Wenninger played the most minutes for Austria in the 2023 World Cup qualifiers, starting all eight matches.
- The defender was one of three Austrian players still in the EURO 2022 qualifying campaign, along with Sarah Zadrazil and Manuela Zinsberger.
- The centre-back, who joined Bayern München in the summer of 2007, will spend the 2022/23 season on loan at Italian side Roma.
Watch: Northern Ireland
- The 20-year-old scored her first Northern Ireland goal just five minutes after coming on as an 80th-minute substitute in April’s loss to Austria.
- The midfielder made his first international start in the 5-0 World Cup qualifying defeat to England at Windsor Park on April 12.
- Andrews made his senior international debut in the EURO 2022 qualifying campaign, a 6-0 win over the Faroe Islands at Torshavn in September 2020.
- She was part of the Glentoran side that won the Women’s Premiership title and Challenge Cup in 2021, and was named Player of the Match after scoring in the 2-0 cup final victory over Crusaders Strikers in october.
- The 31-year-old’s spectacular free-kick put her side ahead in the 2-2 draw with Austria in October 2021.
- The defender has started seven of Northern Ireland’s ten matches in the EURO 2022 qualifying campaign, missing the final Group C game and the away leg with a knee injury suffered against the club. Belarus in November 2020.
- Vance made his senior international debut aged 16 in a 4-0 EURO 2009 qualifying loss to Spain in February 2008.
- The versatile player, who joined Rangers from Glentoran in December 2019, helped the Glasgow side win their first-ever Scottish Women’s Premier League title in 2021/22.
- The 28-year-old scored Northern Ireland’s first goal in the 2-2 World Cup qualifiers draw with Austria in October 2021.
- The striker started in all eight matches for Northern Ireland in the 2023 World Cup preliminaries, scoring three goals.
- Wade scored Glentoran’s second goal in the 2-0 Challenge Cup final victory over Crusaders Strikers in October 2021 as his side won the Northern Ireland league and cup double.
- The versatile striker returned to Northern Irish club football in 2021 after spells in the United States, Sweden, Iceland and Scotland with Glasgow City.