Now that Ironman has partnered with the UTMB series, two events added in North America for 2022
Earlier this year, the Ironman Group added the UTMB (Ultra-Trail du Mont Blanc), the prestigious (and popular) ultramarathon trail series, to its ever-growing list of endurance assets. One of the first things generated by the new relationship with Ironman within the series was the development of the UTMB World Series, scheduled to start in 2022, which would qualify athletes for the main event at Mont-Blanc. Athletes must collect “Running Stones” during UTMB World Series events in order to compete at UTMB Mont-Blanc.
UTMB / Ironman partnership shakes heads in the trail world
Today, Ironman announced that the 2022 circuit will be âbeefed upâ with new events in North America and Europe. New races in the United States include the UTMB Canyons Endurance Runs in California and the UTMB Speedgoat Mountain Races in Utah.
Today’s outing also confirmed the first two World Series Majors, which will take place in Val d’Aran, Spain, and Hong Kong (TransLantau by UTMB). An American Major will be announced soon and will take place in early 2023. Major events offer “double the number of Running Stones compared to other UTMB World Series events, thus increasing their chances of being selected through the registration lottery. UTMB Mont-Blanc 2023. “
“UTMB World Series Majors offer additional qualifying chances for UTMB World Series Finals, with the top 10 male riders and top 10 female riders in each of the 50K, 100K and 100M categories automatically winning their place on the start line of the 2023 finals, âsaid Ironman. in today’s release. “Regular runners will also collect double the number of Running Stones compared to other UTMB World Series events, thus increasing their chances of being selected through the UTMB Mont-Blanc 2023 registration lottery.”
The Canyons Endurance Runs take place on April 23, 2022 in Auburn, California, along the Western States Trail. The Canyons Endurance Runs will consist of three distances: 100 km, 50 km and 25 km. Registration information can be found here.
Held on the slopes of Snowbird Station in Utah in July, the Speedgoat Mountain Races feature 13km, 28km, and a 50km event that includes nearly 12,000 feet of climbing (most at around 9,000 feet ). Information and registration information can be found here.
There are now 24 events in 16 countries confirmed for the first UTMB World Series:
- Ultramarathon Tarawera by UTMB (New Zealand), February 12
- Istria 100 by UTMB (Croatia), April 7-10
- Canyons Endurance Runs by UTMB, (USA) April 23
- Ultra-Trail Australia by UTMB (Australia), May 12-15
- Trail du Saint-Jacques by UTMB (France), June 11
- mozart 100 by UTMB (Austria), June 18
- La Sportiva Lavaredo Ultra Trail by UTMBÂ® (Italy), June 23-26
- Trail 100 Andorra by UTMB (Andorra), June 24-26
- Western States 100-Mile Endurance Run (United States), June 25-26
- Speedgoat Mountain Races by UTMB (USA), July
- Ultra-Trail Snowdonia by UTMB, (Wales), July 1-3
- Sentier Restonica by UTMB (France) July 7-9
- Val d’Aran by UTMB (Spain), July 7-10
- Trail Verbier Saint-Bernard by UTMB, (Switzerland), July 8-10
- Eiger Ultra Trail by UTMB, (Switzerland), July 15-17
- Wildstrubel by UTMB, (Switzerland), September 8-11
- Julian Alps Trail Run by UTMB, (Slovenia), September 16-18
- Nice CÃ´te d’Azur by UTMB (France), September 22-25
- Puerto Vallarta MÃ©xico by UTMB (Mexico), October
- Thailand by UTMB (Thailand), 10-13 November
- TransLantau by UTMB (Hong Kong), November 3-6
- Panda Trail by UTMB (China), dates to be confirmed
- Gaoligong by UTMB (China), dates to be confirmed
- UTMB World Series Finals; UTMB Mont-Blanc (France, Italy, Switzerland), August 22-28