New York MilkLaunch, a Venturefuel Program, Announces 2nd Competition Finalists
Brooklyn, NY – The New York State Dairy Promotion Order (NYSDPO) and innovation consultancy and partner VentureFuel today announced the finalists for this year’s New York MilkLaunch startup competition. The competition, which aims to fuel demand for dairy products at Gen-Z (ages 10-23), offers more than $200,000 in total prizes along with elite mentorship to accelerate these innovative new products. The finalists are:
- True Scoops: shelf stable ice cream and topping mixes designed for the home user for a easier ice cream making experience. No ice cream maker required – just add half and half, whisk, stir or churn and freeze.
- Mochidoki: top of the range mochi ice cream with elevated flavors, packaging and ingredients.
- Elite Sweets: creators of a donut best for you it’s delicious, keto-friendly, low in sugar, gluten-free, and high in milk and egg protein. Individually wrapped for portion control and pre-iced for your convenience.
- Creme and Cocoa Creamery: born in Brooklyn, Caribbean-inspired ice creams and sorbets. At Creme and Cocoa, they make fresh, small-batch ice cream in flavors that pay homage to their Caribbean upbringing.
- Spylt (formerly Smack’d): a low-sugar creamer, dairy chocolate “Energy Drink” naturally loaded with essential nutrients like calcium, B vitamins, potassium, vitamin D and protein. It is beautifully designed and comes in an eco-friendly 12oz aluminum. box.
- New foods: a protein powder recycled from cheese whey or Greek yogurt whey and nitrogen recovered from dairy farm waste. This protein-rich powder is nearly 75% protein and has an excellent amino acid profile while reducing the environmental impact of the dairy and yogurt industry.
The competition encourages entrepreneurs, startups and existing businesses to introduce exciting new dairy products to Gen-Z consumers. Innovations in traditional dairy products – yoghurt, liquid milk, butter as well as make-up, clothing, etc. with a focus on sustainability were sought for the competition. To support each finalist, a $10,000 stipend is given to competitors to perfect their product through lab time, consumer insights and research. Finalists will also benefit from mentorship from global retail, dairy and consumer products experts.
“Gen Z doesn’t want their parents’ dairy, they want exciting new options,” said Fred Schonenberg, founder of VentureFuel. “This year’s competition is focused on sustaining dairy for the next generation with incredibly innovative solutions that unlock new demand.”
Finalists will pitch in front of a panel of expert judges on Thursday, August 25 in a live-streamed virtual event for the right to be named NY MilkLaunch winner, and receive a grand prize of $150,000 in support to accelerate their new product on the market. Registration for the August 25 event is available on the NY MilkLaunch homepage: nymilklaunch.com
About VentureFuel, Inc.
Founded in 2014, VentureFuel is an independent innovation consultancy that builds innovation programs for industry leaders by unleashing the power of external innovation through startup collaboration. Her programs focus on changing behaviors and beliefs to unlock new sources of growth. VentureFuel provides senior executives with the tools to drive transformative change within their organizations by opening their teams to new ways of working, products, services and routes to market. For more information: www.venturefuel.net, LinkedIn, Twitter and Instagram. You can listen to The VentureFuel Visionaries podcast on Apple, Spotify or Simplecast.
About the New York State Dairy Promotion Advisory Council
The Dairy Promotion Advisory Board consists of ten New York dairy farmers appointed by the Commissioner of the New York State Department of Agriculture and Markets, for a three-year term. New York State’s first Dairy Promotion Advisory Council was appointed in May 1972 at the request of dairy farmers. The board advises the commissioner on the disposition of approximately $15 million a year in funds collected from milk producers under the producer-approved DPD. It also makes recommendations on nutritional promotion and education programs and on various dairy products and research projects. Learn more at https://agriculture.ny.gov/dairy/dairy-promotion-order.